View Single Post
Unread November 7th, 2016
Senior Dog

asiansam is just really niceasiansam is just really niceasiansam is just really niceasiansam is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanthick View Post
I think you completely missed the point, kind sir. It's not who they USED to be, it's who they still are. The party has morphed, but it is still the same party.
I don't think I missed the point at all. The British are still the British, but they're no longer marching up Bunker Hill or burning the White House. The Germans are no longer trying to conquer the world, but they're still the Germans. They are our allies now, while some of our former allies, like the Russians, are no longer on our side. The Democrats were once full of cross-burning racists. Now they are full of bleeding heart liberals. Republicans are also no longer the radicals they once were either. The names are the same, but the realities have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanthick
To argue that we don't have a welfare state that caters to the black/minority vote is blindness. It's not rhetoric, it's real.
Are you saying that welfare is doled out on the basis of race? It might appear that way, since blacks represent a higher percentage of welfare stats than their percentage of the population as a whole. On the other hand, their position on the economic scale is generally on the low end as well. Could that also have some bearing? Considering that there are also more welfare recipients who are non-black than black, it's fair to say blacks don't have a lock or monopoly on the system.

Do politicians, especially Democrats, cynically cater ["pander" is a better word] to racial minorities just to get their votes? Of course they do. Every four years. Then they forget about them. Does that mean the working white man is carrying the rest of the nation on his back? I don't think so. In any case, the much-maligned 1% bears a much greater tax burden than everyone else put together, in spite of their loopholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanthick
Here is a question: Why do blacks/minorities continue to vote Democrat when for fifty years they get the same empty promises every four years and are no better off now. At least in the 70's when the auto industry was booming there were jobs. I think that's why Trump is posing the question, "what do you have to lose?"

But I could be wrong.....
Those are very good questions. The short answer to the first one is, they have short memories just like everyone else. The same is true on the other side. Republicans still vote for the party that promises them the world and then doesn't follow through. Politicians and the media pull our strings like we were puppets, and we dance to the same tunes over and over.

Trump's question was valid, in so far as how the Democrats try to entice black and minority voters with promises of change that never happen. He is criticized for characterizing blacks and other minorities as poor people living in squalor and crime-infested neighborhoods, while Democrats use those same images to show how much they "care" and will work to make things better. Since things don't get better after the Democrats win an election, it's fair to ask what minorities have to lose by voting for the other guy.

No matter who wins tomorrow, we all lose.