PDA

View Full Version : On Clinton Emails, F.B.I. Director Comey Has Abused His Power

Libertine
October 30th, 2016, 02:26 PM
On Clinton Emails, F.B.I. Director Comey Has Abused His Power Under The Hatch Act

By Richard W. Painter, a professor at the University of Minnesota Law School, was the chief White House ethics lawyer from 2005 to 2008 for President George W. Bush.

The F.B.I. is currently investigating the hacking of Americans’ computers by foreign governments. Russia is a prime suspect.

Imagine a possible connection between a candidate for president in the United States and the Russian computer hacking. Imagine the candidate has business dealings in Russia, and has publicly encouraged the Russians to hack the email of his opponent and her associates.

It would not be surprising for the F.B.I. to include this candidate and his campaign staff in its confidential investigation of Russian computer hacking.

But it would be highly improper, and an abuse of power, for the F.B.I. to conduct such an investigation in the public eye, particularly on the eve of the election. It would be an abuse of power for the director of the F.B.I., absent compelling circumstances, to notify members of Congress from the party opposing the candidate that the candidate or his associates were under investigation.

It would be an abuse of power if F.B.I. agents went so far as to obtain a search warrant and raid the candidate’s office tower, hauling out boxes of documents and computers in front of television cameras.

The F.B.I.’s job is to investigate, not to influence the outcome of an election.

Such acts would also be prohibited under the Hatch Act, which bars the use of an official position to influence an election. That is why the F.B.I. presumably would keep those aspects of an investigation confidential until after the election.

The usual penalty for a violation is termination of federal employment.

And that is why, on Saturday, I filed a complaint against the F.B.I. with the Office of Special Counsel, which investigates Hatch Act violations, and with the Office of Government Ethics.

I have spent much of my career working on government ethics and lawyers’ ethics, including two and a half years as the chief White House ethics lawyer for President George W. Bush.

I never thought that the F.B.I. could be dragged into a political circus surrounding one of its investigations. Until this week.

Violations of the Hatch Act and of government ethics rules on misuse of official positions are not permissible in any circumstances, including in the case of an executive branch official acting under pressure from politically motivated members of Congress. Such violations are of even greater concern when the agency is the F.B.I.

An official doesn’t need to have a specific intent — or desire — to influence an election to be in violation of the Hatch Act or government ethics rules. The rules are violated if it is obvious that the official’s actions could influence the election, there is no other good reason for taking those actions, and the official is acting under pressure from persons who obviously do want to influence the election.

This is no trivial matter. We cannot allow F.B.I. or Justice Department officials to unnecessarily publicize pending investigations concerning candidates of either party while an election is underway.

That is an abuse of power. Allowing such a precedent to stand will invite more, and even worse, abuses of power in the future.

New York Times
10-30-16

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/opinion/on-clinton-emails-did-the-fbi-director-abuse-his-power.html?_r=0

Lmccj
October 30th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Why is it okay for liberals to abuse power learner from the IRS comes to mind and a few others where is the same outrage
Hillary must be feeling the heat from the shoe on the other foot

frankkim
October 30th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Hillary has Gloria Allred. Trump has the FBI. Checkmate!

asiansam
October 30th, 2016, 08:26 PM
And there's still a week to go! What will they come up with next? Talk about Reality TV! Lol.

marsean
October 31st, 2016, 03:22 PM
And there's still a week to go! What will they come up with next? Talk about Reality TV! Lol.

Hillary is goin down!!! Would you trust this woman with your wallet?

This stuff just is gaining momentum. People are fucking pissed!!!

MPkid
October 31st, 2016, 04:31 PM
Hillary is goin down!!! Would you trust this woman with your wallet?

This stuff just is gaining momentum. People are fucking pissed!!!

Hillary is going to get less votes... but will still be the President. Remember Bush/Gore? She is the chosen one. Votes, scandals, illegal activity etc etc does not matter. Hail to the Chief and her name is Hillary

Libertine
October 31st, 2016, 08:44 PM
Hillary is goin down!!! This stuff just is gaining momentum. People are fucking pissed!!!

exactly what your pet unicorn told you :)

asiansam
October 31st, 2016, 09:45 PM
Hillary is goin down!!!

Goin down? On who?

marsean
November 1st, 2016, 08:54 AM
Goin down? On who?

Lib only wishes! But in reality he don't. In other words he's fucking dreaming.

I have no problem with that. I don't think it's a lock yet for Hillary. I don't think it's a lock yet for Trump. I know it's no lock for Johnson or Stein.

BUT, all that said, I got a strong strong hunch this momentum is going to the Right.

It's gonna be whatever it's gonna be and one week to go.

Been fun kibitzing and we'll know soon.

Libertine
November 1st, 2016, 10:21 PM
I have no problem with that. I don't think it's a lock yet for Hillary. I don't think it's a lock yet for Trump. I know it's no lock for Johnson or Stein.

BUT, all that said, I got a strong strong hunch this momentum is going to the Right.

It's gonna be whatever it's gonna be and one week to go.

Been fun kibitzing and we'll know soon.

Marsean gets erection with this news ------>>>

Trump will win the election and is more popular than Obama in 2008

An artificial intelligence system that correctly predicted the last three U.S. presidential elections puts Republican nominee Donald Trump ahead of Democrat rival Hillary Clinton and in the White House.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/28/donald-trump-will-win-the-election-and-is-more-popular-than-obama-in-2008-ai-system-finds.html

CNBC Business News and Finance