View Single Post
Unread May 28th, 2018

Inspector_Lee is a splendid one to beholdInspector_Lee is a splendid one to beholdInspector_Lee is a splendid one to beholdInspector_Lee is a splendid one to beholdInspector_Lee is a splendid one to beholdInspector_Lee is a splendid one to beholdInspector_Lee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesan1 View Post
Inspector Lee,
So what steps would you recommend to the more old school less tech savvy among us who use our iphones and desktops and have contact info and reviews on here?

What steps after the fact? Many of us have been posting for 15 or more years.

Dump our phones and desktops and replace with new ones??

I'm still waiting to hear back from one of my lawyers to give me some feedback on all of this.
I'll share when he does but he seems to prefer clients already charged rather than looking to avoid for obvious reasons.
To start with, don't post reviews. I know that's counter to the whole point of this site and our wanting to be here for the info, but it's a new world out there. We can still check review sites for leads (even if it's just to check who has the most reviews - almost always a good indicator), because there will always be those who throw caution to the wind and post their adventures, but to reduce or eliminate our own vulnerability we can simply STFU about who we've seen and what we've done.

Don't PM, email, or meet with other mongers. I've made some good friends that way, but it's also a vulnerability. Just ask the guys from Seattle who were infiltrated by 5-0. Keep it a personal, private hobby. It shouldn't be a competition anyway.

The bit about using a pay phone was kind of a joke, as they're almost impossible to find, and hard to use with a two-call system, but hey, that's how we did it in the ante-Internet days. You don't really need a phone to go to an AMP, but you do for incalls and outcalls (personally, I would never do an outcall anyway. WAY too risky for a lot of reasons). Use a burner phone if you must, but rotate them out as frequently as you can afford. Don't take them inside with you when you monger, leave them in your car.

Just be alert and aware always. Trust your gut. Remain vigilant. Read up on what's going on with regard to the hobby aside from what you see written on monger sites. Avoid technology as much as possible when engaged in hobby-related activities. For us old guys, just do what you did before cell phones and the Internet. You younger ones will have a harder time adapting, as you've grown up with technology and it is part of the only life you know, but give it a try.

As for what's already out there, reviews, contacts and such, that's all water under the bridge. Not much you can do about that now. Cover your tracks as much as you can, ditching old electronics, etc., but there's only so much you can do. Going forward is where you have the most control. Focus on that.